The Ride of Our Lives

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Falling off a bike .. now that’s very Bard


Had a wonderful ride in Richmond Park today, trying to get used to cleats for the first time.  And for some reason, I came over ‘all Shakespeare’.. being Anglais and all … enjoy .. (perchance) ..

To cleat, or not to cleat, that is the question:
Whether ‘tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Ridicule and Mockery of non-cleated cycling,
Or to take feet against a road of potholes,
And by cleating them: to panic, to fall
And to fall, and possibly dent my bike and pride
The heart-ache, and the thousand pieces of tarmac
That would imbed in my flesh?  ‘Tis a consummation
Devoutly not to be wished.  But to cleat, to look fabulous,
To fabulously ride faster in my Dreams; Ay, that saddle ..now
There’s the rub…  

        (But that is another story for another day in the Park…)

2 comments:

  1. actually I think that if Will was around now he would have been a city cyclist and lived in the east end ... suspect cleats would have been beyond him though ... I don't really see him as the physically coordinated type

    ReplyDelete